Today is Thursday October 6th 2016. This morning we are tracking a number of things around the world.
- Hurricane Matthew
- Mandatory Evacuations have been posted for a number of communities along the Florida East Coast
- As of 2am Matthew was a Category 3 Hurricane clocking winds of 115 mph and a pressure of 954mb
- Matthew should be making it’s closest approach to Florida Friday AM based on some of the forecast models
- Election 2016
- I’ll have my reactions to the Vice presidential debates as well as what to look forward to in the next presidential debate.
- After Russia’s Embassy in Damascus Syria was attack Monday The US and Russia ended all diplomatic talks concerning Syria and Russia bolstered it’s Air defenses.
- Russia is telling it’s citizens that a Nuclear Confrontation with the West could be coming soon and to be prepared
- Russia is conducting Nuclear Drills to test it’s preparedness consisting of more then 40 million people. The Drills are designed to test everything from it’s notification systems to post attack response.
- The US is mulling over possible responses to Russia’s Continued airstrikes on Aleppo Syria including Military options.
Hurricane Track – Hurricane Matthew Update
This evening a Noaa P3 Orion flying into Tropical Storm Earl found winds supporting an upgrade to Hurricane Earl. With a Pressure of 988mb and 75mph winds.
Here is the update from the National Hurricane Center regarding the upgrade of Earl to a Hurricane:
WTNT65 KNHC 032057
HURRICANE EARL TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052016
400 PM CDT WED AUG 03 2016
...NOAA PLANE FINDS THAT EARL IS NOW A HURRICANE...
A NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft just reached Earl and measured
maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 km/h), indicating that Earl
is now a hurricane.
SUMMARY OF 400 PM CDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
ABOUT 70 MI...110 KM NE OF ISLA ROATAN HONDURAS
ABOUT 150 MI...240 KM E OF BELIZE CITY
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...988 MB...29.18 INCHES
The forecast track takes the Hurricane into Belize over night where
it is forecast to weaken before emerging back over the Bay of Campeche
where it could have a little time to restrengthen before making it's final
landfall along the Mexican coast.
Hurricane Warnings have been issues for the east coasts
of Belize including the following areas:
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico, southward to the Belize/Guatemala
* Bay Islands, Honduras.
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* North coast of Honduras from Cabo Gracias a Dios westward to the
* North of Puerto Costa Maya to Punta Allen, Mexico.
For storm information specific to your area, please monitor
products issued by your national meteorological service.
Hurricane Preparations in these areas should be rushed to completion!
I will have more through out the evening and as conditions warrant!
A tornado and extreme hailstorm in China’s eastern Jiangsu Province, just north of Shanghai, has destroyed buildings and killed 51 people.
The tornado hit near Yancheng city Thursday afternoon, and hail and severe rains pummeled the surrounding county. Winds reached about 77 mph (125 km per hour), the Shanghai Daily reported, and toppled buildings and splintered telephone poles.
China’s southeastern regions get heavy rains every year during the monsoon season. This year has been especially harsh, and is blamed on a strong El Niño pushing warm, wet, and volatile winds around the globe. Over the weekend, Storms in eight southern Chinese provinces killed 22 people. The week before, heavy rains killed 14 people.
Beijing (CNN)At least 98 people were killed and 800 more were injured after a tornado — accompanied by hailstorms, thunderstorms and lightning — hit eastern China early Thursday afternoon, the government said.
The extreme weather, packed with winds up to 125 kilometers per hour, destroyed homes and factories and tossed cars into the air in parts of Yancheng City in China’s Jiangsu Province, according to a statement posted online by the local authorities.
“When the tornado hit, the wind was howling and the sky turned as dark as night,” a local villager told CNN by phone Friday. “Almost all the houses here have collapsed.”
The resident, who wanted to be identified only by her family name Qiu, described the flattened village looking like the aftermath of a powerful earthquake, adding that her niece suffered minor injuries.
Zhou Qingchun, another local resident, described swirling in the air in the tornado as he stepped outside of his home in an attempt to rescue his mother living nearby.
“Within two minutes, I was swept away and then hit a house,” he told state broadcaster CCTV.
CCTV said that Zhou tore his tendon in the ankle while flying debris pricked his back. Local hospitals were overwhelmed by patients with serious injuries, the broadcaster reported.
Police in Yancheng, a city of more than 7 million residents, said Friday that emergency crews had rescued more than 100 people and evacuated 2,000 others.
The central government in Beijing has sent a team to oversee disaster relief efforts along with 1,000 tents, 2,000 folding beds and 10 sets of emergency lights, according to the Ministry of Civil Affairs.
The provincial authorities in Jiangsu deployed a rescue team of more than 1,000 people, as well as sent supplies.
Tornadoes are rare in China, but not unheard of. Unlike in tornado-prone areas of the United States, most Chinese people lack awareness of the weather phenomenon.
The lack of a warning system and underground bunkers as well as population density may have also contributed to the heavy casualties.